Home » Uncategorized » Out Of Eden Walk

Out Of Eden Walk

Out of Eden walk is an experiment in slow journalism. Paul Salopek is partaking in this experiment. He is walking 24,000 miles by foot. Paul is walking pathways that the first humans that migrated from Africa took. He is doing this to write major stories on climate change, cultural survival, mass migration, and so much more. He is recording everything as he takes this journey to rediscover our world.

Out Of Africa

Out of Africa was the first stop I explored. I explored this one first because it is where the journey starts. Paul begins his journey with his tour guide Ahmed Alema Hessan. They begin their journey with camel walking. An interesting topic that stood out for me was the walk through the graveyard. Paul walks through a colossal graveyard. The people of Ethiopia live comfortably among their uncounted dead. I found this interesting because their bones are never buried and people are able to walk comfortably with them. Another thing I found interesting was the hand-dug wells. These wells were fairly deep and it’s quite impressive that someone hand-dug them.

Where Paul started his journey.

Autumn Wars

The next stop of Pauls journey I read about was chapter 3, Autumn wars. In this part of his journey, Paul writes about how lonely Europe is. He says that crossing the boarder there was not another soul on foot. In chapter 3, Paul has been walking for 532 days and has walked a total of 1,900 miles. Something that stood out for me in this chapter was the ghost city. This is where a green line separates northern and southern Cyprus. It represents the unsolved war in Europe. Paul says that it is a barbed-wire scar.

A picture taken near Pyla, Cyprus.

Silk Road

Chapter 4 marks milestone 33 on Pauls journey. He has been walking 1,079 days and has walked a total of 3,200 miles. Paul visits Aktau, Kazakhstan. This is a place where the streets have no name. In this chapter Paul explores places where mystic healing is used. He learns about tales of miracles and hope while he’s in central Asia. He walks through the wilderness with his horse. The horse is used to carry his stuff from destination to destination. He states that in Kazakhstan, horses are apart of the culture. They are used for many things. Chapter 4 was my favorite chapter I read. Paul explores many interesting things in this chapter. He also learns a lot about the different cultures.

A picture of Paul and his horse starting out towards their destination.

Overall, I found this website very interesting. It would be a helpful tool to use in a geography classroom. The stories that Paul writes about the places he explores, are informational and interesting. His journey towards rediscovering our world is one that everyone should read about. You learn a lot about the different cultures. Check out the website to learn more about Pauls journey!