Home » Uncategorized » Blog Post 6: Subtitles

Blog Post 6: Subtitles

by Cristell Ramirez

For this blog post, I decided to watch a show from a different country. I love watching different shows and movies from different cultures because I always find them so much more interesting. I watched a show on Netflix called Million Yen Women. It is a Japanese show about this group of girls working together.

1,000,000 yen no Onnatachi (TV Mini Series 2017) - IMDb

I love watching shows in Japanese so I loved watching this one. In the show, you can see how different the culture in Japan is from here in the United States. This show is about a struggling journalist who is struggling to write his book and he is living with five mysterious women. Each one of the girls has a different personality and each one has their own quirk.

The landscape there is completely different. I think this is because they live in the city and here in New Jersey, you are used to seeing more of a rural atmosphere. And the way it looks so different in Japan. Over there, yes you see cars but most often you see people walking from place to place since everything over there is closer.

Million Yen Women - Wikipedia

It was an interesting show to watch. I like watching shows with subtitles no matter what show I am watching. There are options to watch the show in English being the voiceover and have the english subtitles. But I dont like listening to the show in English because I feel like the translation is not exact. Even though I do not know or even understand Japanese, I would much rather watch it with the english subtitles.

You can also see how the inside of homes are very different from the inside of homes here. They are more modern and they have more gadgets inside. Usually the weather was cloudy and sunny, but mostly from what I saw was cloudy most of the time unless it was night time. And they would again, walk or use a car to get places. They live in a complete different culture but I love learning more about it. They live a life which is different compared to how we live here.

Watch Million Yen Women | Netflix Official Site