Home » Cultural Understandings » What I explored on my Out of Eden Walk

What I explored on my Out of Eden Walk

According to the National Geographic, Out of Eden Walk is a 24,000-mile odyssey, decade-long experiment conducted by Paul Salopek. We as readers learn that, “[He] is walking the pathways of the first humans who migrated out of Africa in the Stone Age and made the Earth… [and] is covering the major stories of our time—from climate change to technological innovation, from mass migration to cultural survival” Click HERE to find out more. Paul documents and uploads photographs, videos, audio, etc. and records,” human life at the start of a new millennium as told by villagers, nomads, traders, farmers, soldiers, and artists who rarely make the news.” Click HERE to read more.

I explored the “Children’s Crusade” article focused on the Shilo Settlement in West Bank. In this article, we learn about Paul’s encounter with an Israeli settler named Marc Prowisor who takes him to a Palestinian farmer named Khaled Daraghmeh. Below are two images of the men.

The article states that the “American-born Jew, Prowisor is the security director for the One Israel Fund, an organization that provides logistical assistance to Israeli settlements occupying the West Bank. I have paused the walk at Shilo because I wished to visit these controversial outposts, to meet an Israeli settler. Prowisor’s community, and others, is trying to evict Daraghmeh from the land he farms, claiming he is a squatter. Daraghmeh says the hay-colored fields have been in his family for a century. This dispute is years old. The two men are categorical enemies”. (Salopek, National Geographic Society, 2014)

As reader we learn that there is a lot of conflict more than ever before between the Israeli and Palestinian youth.

I explored the Jeddah, Saudi Arabia walk, a total distance of 63 miles (101 KM). Click HERE to find out more.

During the walk they stubble upon a gardener:

This is a car sculpture art piece standing next to it is Mohamad Banounah.
Image by: PAUL SALOPEK
Camel unloading from a truck. Image by: PAUL SALOPEK

Click HERE to read more.

I also explored Tbilisi, Georgia in the Walking Tbilisi article. It is said that Tbilisi has kaleidoscope history of invasion and reconquest.

Restaurant Jerusalem. Image by: PAUL SALOPEK

They are having a meal in Jerusalem. I found this image interesting because of the star of David and the Jewish words.

Here is an image of the inside of the Sioni Church

Image by: PAUL SALOPEK

“The cross of St. Nino is locked behind glass. Her cross is made of two grapevines, lashed with her own hair”

A video at Luna Park of moving dinosaurs.

Click HERE to view more images of Tbilisi, Georgia.

Thanks for reading! Good Luck to Paul Salopek on this journey! His global walk resumes in Yunnan, China after being halted by the global pandemic. Click HERE to read about where he is walking now.