Home » Uncategorized » A Trip to the Smithsonian

A Trip to the Smithsonian

For my virtual field trip, I decided to look at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. I had gone to the museum during my 8th grade field trip to Washington DC, but didn’t remember much about it. Immediately I was drawn to a temporary exhibit called Critical Distance. It takes its visitors through a holographic pod of orcas to see the challenges these endangered whales face.

I also then looked at the Ancient Egypt exhibit. Growing up, I loved learning about ancient Egypt and vaugely remember loving experiencing that exhibit during my first experience at the Smithsonian.

I then came across a newly added “Mega-toothed shark” which was hung on display in 2019. This shark, commonly known as the Megalodon hangs in the dining area of the museum. The picture on the website is amazing, and I would love to see it in person!

The final exhibit I was drawn to was the Sant Ocean Hall. The website shows a massive preserved squid, as well as a jaw of the megalodon. I have also always been interested in marine life and love the ocean! Seeing all of these exhibits in real time is a thrilling experience.

Check out the rest of the exhibits at this link! https://naturalhistory.si.edu/exhibits

Thanks for reading!