Home » Uncategorized » National Geographic Explorer Classroom

National Geographic Explorer Classroom

By Tiffany Imparato

Class image

This week I was challenged to research a learning tool that could be utilized within my future classroom. I decided to find a tool that can be fun and engaging since my target students will be K-6th; I chose National Geographic Explorer Classroom.

This is a fun interactive tool that is geared for student aged 4-14 years old. Classrooms can attend live events on varying subjects with special guests that help bring the classroom alive. Subjects include things like animals, the solar system, the ocean, and many other nature related topics. The events are ran by people who specialize within their given topic so that children can be delivered the best available information. Through video feed students can ask questions in real time with the specialist on camera or they can chat throughout the event through the chat option. The upbeat conversations appear to keep the students excited to learn from the explorer. I found a couple upcoming events that seemed interesting the first one focused upon the planetary system which reinforces science skills and STEM skills. This event was aimed towards children in grades 4-8. The next one that intrigued me was Tracking Elephant Seals which was lead by a marine biologist and gear for students in 4th -8th grade as well. This event appears to blend ocean life science and wildlife. I can imagine creating a whole module around one if these events having students research the topic, creating questions, and the writing summaries of their findings. I think that it is a fun way to introduce children to science and stem while working on research skills and writing skills as well. I can definitely envision utilizing this amazing service with my students. National Geographic’s goal is teach students how the world works so that they in return will treat the world better.

Teaching the world.