Home » Uncategorized » Goal 15: Life on Land

Goal 15: Life on Land

Goal 15: Sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and  reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss

Sustainable Development is development that meets needs of the now without affecting the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. Sustainable Development goals are made for every 15 years. The last set of goals were made in 2015 and a new agenda was created. This agenda for 2030 is “comprised of 17 Goals to drive development over the next 15 years by ending extreme poverty, tackling climate change and fighting inequalities”. The challenge for us is to make sure the goals are carried through in a way that guarantees no one is left behind.

The sustainable development goal that I found most interesting was Goal 15: Life on Land. The goal reads as follows:

Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss

I find this goal really important because we need to protect the life on land around us. This life gives us food, medicine, and so many more resources. This goal has 12 targets each related to things like deforestation and preserving ecosystems. This video about goal 15 is a great resource as it discusses the targets within this goal and show visuals:

Watching this video and seeing the information and resources that the United Nations gives us, it was really upsetting to see the ecosystems that have started to diminish. As a future teacher this gives me ideas as to how I can incorporate this into art projects that my students can work on. I believe I could teach my students about sustainable development goals and allow them to choose a goal to represent in a project of their choosing. We could hang them up in the school for other students and staff to see. This would be a great way to get more information out there to people who may be able to help.

Thank you so much for reading!!