Home » Uncategorized » International Children’s Digital Library

International Children’s Digital Library

I want to one day be able to become a kindergarten teacher. I think this would be an amazing resource for any age kids no matter what age or what school they are going to. Not all kids have the same opportunities to be able to buy books or there are times where schools don’t have enough funding for books in the classrooms.

Directly from the ICDL website their mission statement is; “to support the world’s children in becoming effective members of the global community – who exhibit tolerance and respect for diverse cultures, languages and ideas — by making the best in children’s literature available online free of charge. The Foundation pursues its vision by building a digital library of outstanding children’s books from around the world and supporting communities of children and adults in exploring and using this literature through innovative technology designed in close partnership with children for children.”

This is a nonprofit organization and it’s a great idea. Every kid should be able to have access to any book they need. There are children around the world that desire to have books in their reach to learn more in school or even learn at home. I’m currently working as an aid for a kindergarten class and I can see that there are kids who want to learn more and they want to use the books to their full advantage. They are just learning simple words but with just looking at the pictures you are able to tell that they have that drive to learn.

When one day I become a teacher, I want to use this tool to the max. Since today, we are becoming a digital time where each kid now knows how to use a tablet or a phone. If schools become more digital, this would be the perfect tool for kids to use in the classroom and at home. I would incorporate this as much as possible since it would be such a good tool to use in class to teach the kids different pictures or as they start learning words they can use them even more.

Information from: http://en.childrenslibrary.org/