Day of Service

Saturday September 9th, was the 14th annual day of service at Stockton University. I was able to participate, and partook in four different activities during the course of the morning and afternoon, all around campus.

The first activity was helping the students understand and participate in local and country wide political conversations and topics. We voiced our opinions on six topics that are prevalent today in the large group and compared them to national surveys of different age groups. Then, the group broke, and was given the rest of the time to make buttons in support of causes personally important to us, resister for voting and discuss the coming primary vote, and make posters to voice or opinions and share with our peers. This activity was less service and more becoming politically active and allowed us to be able to be active students in our country’s affairs and educated us so we can be politically active for years to come.

The second activity was constructing and decorating the exterior of coloring books to be distributed to children in local hospitals to brighten up their stays. During the time, I was able to construct two books, and decorate another three. My group also started a conversation about ways to support people in the community who are suffering, or on long-term medical stays in hospital.

The third activity was in league with the campus Active Minds Club, and I helped to paint large rocks that are going to be decorating the campus for an awareness scavenger hunt and make buttons to distribute and raise awareness for suicide awareness month. This activity was very close to my heart, as I have family and friends that struggle with their mental health, and to be able to give back to support those on campus who may be having similar struggles, or if not, just put a smile on someone’s face meant a lot to me.

The final activity was packing the last ten thousand meals for the Rise Against Hunger Volunteers, packing Rice-Soy meals for families and individuals in developing countries. Meals were packed in teams of four, with a bag and funnel manner, and one person apiece scooping out soy, rice, and dried vegetables. Vitamin packages were also included in the bag, to provide the recipients with sufficient nutrition.  What I appreciated the most was the fact that the next person to touch the meals will be the families in developing countries who will have a meal, for perhaps the first time in a long time. Thinking of that makes me feel like I am actually connecting with the people that I am serving.

I really enjoyed this Day of Service. It gave me a sense of accomplishment, reassured me about my place in the world, and allowed me to give back to my new community. I also made new memories with new friends, and was able to be an active member of my university community in the first week of residence, an experience I will cherish, and I look forward to the next opportunity I have to give back.