Dialogue #2

Dr. Melaku Lakew’s dialogue presentation on “Globalization and Migration, Income Inequalities” helped shed light on the economic disparagement that has only become a larger issue over time. He discussed the need to allow refugees to improve the populations in other parts of the world –a need which is restricted by many national policies. During this presentation I thought of my Honors course this semester, The Global Community, taught by Francisco Javier Sanchez. In class, we often discuss issues that occur around the world. The issue of restricted immigration has yet to come up in class; however, colonization has been a class discussion topic.

I noticed the juxtaposition between the presentation and our class discussion. Dr. Lakew represented the positive benefits of globalization and interspersing peoples while our class dwelled on the negative impacts that non-native peoples have had on the social, political, and economic structures of various societies. The people migrating, the scale of migration, the time period, and the destination all deeply influenced the conversations, but ultimately I saw a connection between the constant need for human migrationary patterns. No matter the time or the place, throughout history, humans have constant needs for relocation. This dialogue prompted me to analyze various components and allowed me to make connections to the other dialogue I attended –in addition to the connections I made with my Global Community course.