A Day of Service

On September 12, 2015, Stockton hosted their 12th annual Day of Service. For many, today was an opportunity to learn about the South Jersey community, and about the things that we, as college students, can do to help under privileged people in our community and to help our environment. I was on the purple team, and while we spent the day being talked to by guest speakers about the ways we can impact our community, I do wish that the event would have been a little more hand on with the “service” aspect of service-learning. The keynote speaker this year was Todd Bernstein, the founder of the MLK Day of Service, who spoke to us about the importance of service in every community and the impact that we, as students, can make on our country and the world.

Stockton also had the honor of having the president of ACUA, Rick Dovey, speak to us about the recycling, sewage treatment, trash collection, and sustainable energy facilities in Atlantic County. Besides that, the student representatives of Water Watch taught us about the dangers of single-use plastic water bottles and their adverse effects on our bodies, environment, and economy. (This is the cue to head to the bookstore and buy a reusable water bottle OR see the Water Watch table during the Get Involved fair for a free one!)

I also had the chance to help box up books for an on campus organization called Books Without Borders, which helps stock under-funded libraries, schools, and universities. The Campus Center theatre stage was covered in books from every subject imaginable, and I can only imagine the benefit of them once they all get to where they are needed most.

Today, students also had the opportunity to register to vote, if they had not already done so, and learn a little bit more about our legal system in the “civics” portion of the day. “Hot topics” such as the death penalty and the search and seizure of cell phones were discussed in my group, which led to my mind opening to the opinions and beliefs of others. It was very evident today, if not always, that every single Stockton student has a very important voice and that, if not shared, can go unnoticed.

My favorite part of the day was the Hands-Only CPR training I received from Stockton EMS. I was CPR certified when I was younger, but Hands-Only CPR is a little bit different. Because of the lack of rescue breaths, more people are willing to perform life-saving CPR on a stranger than before. Knowing that I at least have some training in how to do CPR, use an AED, and save someone from choking makes me feel better prepared for the times where I might be the only thing between someone and death.

Stockton’s Day of Service gave me more than just a free t shirt and some food. It gave me the information I need to continue to reach out and help my community, useful life-skills, a chance to help under-privileged libraries, and the chance to listen to some very interesting guest speakers.  I definitely look forward to participating in the 13th annual Day of Service, and today made me much more interested in joining Circle K.