A True Stockton Welcome

The Stockton TALONS really know how to make you feel welcomed.  At Welcome Week, which took place from the 29th of August until the 3rd of September, I participated in all of the silly games and activities hosted by the TALONS group.  My roommate and I both had our eyes set on the Stockton blanket that was given as a prize for completing the entire passport.  This passport was given to each student at move-in and was stamped at each event attended.

At first, I was timid to participate in some of the activities such as the Think-Fast Game Night or the Dance Party. Each event required you to branch out and introduce yourself to others.  Every new event meant a new introduction of yourself.  However, eventually, each event began to bring more familiar faces and less strangers.  By the movie night the last night, where we watched Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier, I had made so many friends.  While walking across the lot, nearly every person I passed had once been a stranger, but now they were my new friends.

During the events, it seemed so childish to be lead around from place to place by the leaders when we had just gained the freedom of college.  I just wanted to do what I thought all college kids want to do; sleep, eat and nap. (Which I now know is completely false… we study, study and multitask at eating, sleeping and studying.) It took until now for me to realize the reason for Welcome Week.  It was not done to completely tire out the class or to provide entertainment to those observing the obnoxious tasks.  It was created to help break the ice between all of the students.  It gave every person an equal chance to meet their fellow classmates.

Even greater than the blanket I received for attending every passport event, were the friendships I formed at the TALONS hosted Stockton Welcome Week.  It is commonly said that the friends you make at college, are the friends you keep for life.  Welcome Week made this come true for me.  My new best friend was a girl who I had met in one activity and then met up later to attend the next activity with because we had found so many things in common with one another.  I owe the TALONS group a huge thank you for helping me create lasting relationships with people who I may have otherwise never met.