The Perks of Being a Cupcake

Every so often, being that I am a residential student living in a dorm room, there are mandatory floor meetings that every person that is living on the floor must attend. They are run by that floor’s residential assistant, or RA, and generally have some kind of exciting draw that hopefully makes the students want to attend.

We got word of our floor program for February by means of posters hung on our dorm room doors. This meeting was called “Perks of Being a Cupcake” and we were going to eat cupcakes and watch the movie “Perks of Being a Wallflower”. I, along with many of the girls on my floor, was thrilled! I love cupcakes and I have been dying to see that movie.

I went, and the first thing my RA told us was to dig in to the cupcakes. We decorated them with icing and sprinkles and devoured the cupcakes. As we are biting into the cupcakes, my RA is explaining what the organization “To Write Love on Her Arms” is. She is explaining how a decent amount of people are struggling with depression at a young age and don’t show it on the outside, nor do they tell people. They keep it inside. As she is explaining this, one of the girls on my floor bites into her delicious looking cupcake to find a blob of toothpaste in the middle. My RA was trying to discuss about how people can be significantly different on the inside than one may assume, as she demonstrated with the cupcakes.

After the cupcake with toothpaste incident, I realized how brilliant and accurate that analogy was. No one was expecting to bite into a toothpaste-filled cupcake. No one expects that certain people struggle immensely with depression either. This floor meeting was definitely one of my favorites because of the exceptional meaning that was behind it, and because we got cupcakes and watched a movie!