Blog Post Twelve – Service Learning Event The Celebration of Creativity

As I have discussed in my previous blogs, I am completing Service Learning for two of my courses, the Honors Program and Public Health Marketing. I decided to work with the Jersey Shore Children’s Museum and complete marketing work for them. Through the Service Learning Office, I was put in touch with the marketing company that works with the museum, Ugly Baby Marketing, and the two women that run the business, Sherri Brentari and Karen Komo. By working for the museum and Ugly Baby Marketing, I was also introduced to another student, Stephanie Mak, who has been my marketing partner throughout the semester. We all agreed the Jersey Shore Children’s Museum was a great place for families to go and we want everyone to have the same perspective we have.

In order to complete this vision, we decided to create an event that involved the communities around the museum. The event was on April 21st and was called the Celebration of Creativity, the first event ever dedicated to the museum. I never understood how much work went into planning and organizing an event. I was in contact with numerous Stockton Staff and Professors, the coordinator of the Shore Mall, Daycare Facilities, Learning Centers, and Supermarkets for food donations. The Celebration of Creativity involved two contests and art work from Stockton, near by High Schools, and Daycare/Learning Center Facilities. The event went really well for the first time and I hope that I can work with the museum for my Service Learning Project for the following year so that I can run this event again! (I have attached the flyer underneath).

Celebration of Creativity Flyer