Skating with Pride

On Wednesday, October 17th, Stockton’s Pride Alliance organized a trip to a roller-skating rink. I attended with my roommate, Lauree Klein, and my friend Savanna Asta. I actually had to get a ride with my friend Ky, as I had just recently become a zombie in Stockton’s Humans vs Zombies game and my roommate, who was the person originally driving me, was still human and didn’t want to have to worry about getting tagged while she was trying to focus on driving. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Ky had very good music tastes, and, like me, liked to play his music loud enough to shake the car’s frame.

As a bit of back story, the Stockton Pride Alliance is a club dedicated to helping people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or questioning their sexuality, or for people who are LGBTQ advocates. I originally went to the first meeting because my roommate Lauree was going and CJ, my friend from high school, was on the executive board and was bugging me to join, since I had been in our high school’s gay-straight alliance with her.

Getting back to the story, I was incredibly excited to go to the rink. I hadn’t gone rollerblading for several months, and the last time I had gone had been an absolutely fantastic time. I can’t skate for my life, on ice or otherwise, but rollerblading is something I love to do. I’ve always loved how fast you can go with so little effort, and I got to hang out with some of my best friends while doing so.

Once we were there, I tried on about three different sizes of blades until I could find one that was comfortable, skated the entire night, wound up with a huge blister, met some absolutely fantastic new people, and overall had the time of my life. I would go again in a heartbeat, and I’m hoping the Pride Alliance decides to organize a trip again so I can bring more friends, which will be even better.