Celebration of Service

April 10 was Stockton’s first annual Celebration of Service sponsored by Service Learning.  The event was from 10am-2pm in lower F wing outside of the library.  Students were able to showcase service, internships, projects, club service/projects, etc. for anyone to see.  There were some students presenting, but I mostly saw posters around the area.  Some posters did not really look like service at first, but then I realized some of the projects had been used to educate the community for free, so they were indeed service.

For instance, there were posters educating people about problems college students have.  Some of use have cognitive disabilities that make it difficult to study up to date on whatever tests/quizzes are coming.  As college students, we all share stress, and I learned it causes headaches, nightmares, depression, insomnia, etc. and to combat it we must have sleep, quiet time, exercise, organization, etc.  Also with no stress, we have a better immune system, low blood pressure, happiness, better judgement, etc.  This entire project was shown to the community to educate college kids on problems they may have and how to fix them to get the most out of their college experience.

A few other clubs brought their posters and presentations, including Water Watch, and there were some students who did individual presentations that I unfortunately could not see because of class.

This did seem quite interesting, but I believe next year there should be more actual presentations instead of posters, and perhaps we should get even more people involved!  I believe this day has great potential for the future.