Getting Involved

As an introvert, it’s never easy for me to make friends or even socialize with people. However, I see college as a chance to start fresh and try to make new friends as well as get acquainted with old friends who are also Stockton students. The past three weeks have been extremely overwhelming for me. Between the copious amounts of course work and essays I’ve been faced with recently, I am still trying to have fun and get involved at Stockton. As a commuter, it’s a bit more of a challenge to get involved and make friends on campus because a lot of students know each other from living in the dorms and have already established the group of people they want to call their friends.

Recently, Stockton held a Get Involved Fair which I decided to check out and see what it was all about. As I walked out of F-111, my last class of the day, I noticed the main hallway was filled with students and tables lining the left and right sides of the hallway. There had to have been close to a hundred tables, stretching from one end of the hallway to the other. As I wandered down the hallway, I couldn’t help but feel a sense of community and certain diversity from all the different clubs, organizations, and fraternities within that one hallway. I had no idea how many different organizations there were at Stockton; it was yet another thing that overwhelmed and simply amazed me.

There were so many choices down the hallway ahead of me. As I walked down the hallway, I was confronted with clubs for reading, gaming, fitness, helping the community, writing, so many unique unions to join based on one’s personal interests. As I made it to the end of the hallway, I saw a girl playing a ukulele at a table that had a piece of paper on it which read, “Stockton Music Union”. Music has always been my passion. I have been a flutist since I was nine, and more recently, I have become a guitarist, pianist, and ukulele player as well during the past two years. The Music Union was something that appealed to me so I decided I would sign up for the club. I signed up and decided that one club was enough for me for now, since I am still trying to get adjusted to the college life.

I went to the first Music Union meeting this past Tuesday. There were probably only about twenty of us, maximum, that showed up for the club. Everyone in the club seemed so friendly and welcoming, and I felt right at home. We went over who we were, the instruments we could play or wanted to learn, and the types of fundraisers and charities we would do as a club. It was a really nice feeling to be surrounded by musicians once again. I was in marching band during my four years of high school and I always found it more stimulating to be around fellow musicians than people who weren’t musicians. Anyhow, I think I’ll like the Music Union. Next week we have to play two compositions or songs in front of the club to show our skill level, I hope I do well and show everyone my talent.