The Newman Club

As the first one in my family to go to college my mother was obviously apprehensive by this life changing event. I had never been away from home for more than two weeks and I tried to console my mom any way I could to give her some tranquility. All she wanted was for me to respect the morals and values instilled before my by my parents and by my Catholic teachings. I promised her that I would not forget my teachings and that I would do my best to find and join any Catholic organization or group in college. Here at Stockton exists the Newman Catholic Club/ Catholic Campus Ministry, to which I have recently become apart of with a few of my friends. Their first event consisted of a Catholic mass on campus, to which I assisted in the TRLC main meeting room Sunday September 11th, 2011 at 8:00 p.m. When I came through the door I was greeted by students and faculty members of the Stockton community that made me feel welcomed and at home. The director of this club, Lois Dark, immediately recognized our presence in the area and took great interest in the new members of the club even learning the names all of the new members by the end of the session which was very impressive. The improvised altar and ceremonial adornment was very charming and the atmosphere in the room was full of amicable laughter and joyful natter, and only adding to the merry attitude was the club’s father, Father Tom. Father Tom makes everyone smile with his good natured jokes and his approachable attitude. I, overwhelmed by the entire experience, immediately volunteered to help Father Tom with his sermon by being a reader at the podium. The sermon was done in an attractive and timely manner, with remarkable refreshments after the service to meet and talk to fellow members and to have a friendly conversation with the director and father. Newman Club also partakes in other religious and fun activities various times in the semester, but we can talk about that in the next blog. In the end it was a fulfilling experience that made me feel at peace spiritually and hopefully reassured my mother of my adventures in college. The service was phenomenal and the friendly attitude of everyone makes anyone new to the club feel spiritually and physically unperturbed.