Watsky Blog

George Watsky, otherwise known as “Pale Kid Raps Fast” is an Internet sensation that is best known for his incredible lyrics, rhyming speed, and poetic abilities. The students of Richard Stockton College were fortunate enough to have the opportunity of witnessing Watsky in person. The event was held October 18th at the campus center and was designed to give the audience a warm and comforting feeling. The food was served buffet style and the most complemented items were the chicken Parmesan cutlets and the cake that was served for dessert. After eating, Watsky came on stage and performed the popular poems, “Letter to my 16 Year Old Self” and “Drunk Text Message to God”. As he was reciting his poems, it was clear that the audience was enjoying the event as I saw many people laughing and when Watsky finished, the crowd gave him a great applause.
Overall, the event seemed to be a complete success as everyone enjoyed their meals and also enjoyed the humorously outrageous poems that Watsky performed. He was like no other rapper or rhymer that I had every seen. He not only spit out clever verses but he spoke them with such rapidity and accuracy that I began to wonder if he always talked that fast. Although his poetic presentation thrilled me, the aspect of his show that I enjoyed the most was his lyrics. He had an in-your-face style in which he was able to turn global issues into something that college students wanted to listen to. He took issues that young people often dislike talking about and he presented them to a bunch of college kids in a way that everyone could relate, and so at the end of the night, my friends and I walked away with a more realistic view of the world. In actuality, Earth is not the negative place that it sometimes can seem to be but rather a place built as if “god had chucked a bunch of candy into space”. I can without a doubt say that I would see Watsky again if he returned to Stockton or had a show nearby because he introduced me to a new style of poetry that I can enjoy.