Richard Stockton College 8th Annual Day of Service

By: Stephen May

The event that I attended was the Richard Stockton College of New Jersey’s 8th Annual Stockton Day of Service, which was held on September 10th 2011, hosted by the college’s Office of Student Development. Held in conjunction with various community organizations, the Day of Service took place at locations spanning across Stockton’s beautiful campus as well as around the surrounding areas and communities. The Day of Service provided rewarding opportunities for Stockton’s students, professors, faculty, as well as local community members to come and work together to better the college, benefit the local community, as well as provide aid to those in need.

The Day of Service was so unique in that it provided such a wide range of experiences and opportunities for those participating, allowing participants to work in areas relating to their area of study, non-academic pursuits or hobbies, or simply a random project that sparked their interest. These opportunities included such things as preparing and delivering food to local pantries, landscaping and maintenance at local landmarks and parks, numerous projects on campus, as well as many more. It was great to see participants eagerly undertaking their tasks and the gratitude expressed by those they helped, and just as importantly, the new friendships and lasting bonds that were formed between participants as a result. The barbeque/picnic held after the event’s conclusion was a wonderful outing to celebrate and reflect upon the recently completed service as well as to give thanks to those who provide such aid and services daily around the nation.

On a personal level, I was able to do my service at the National Wildlife Reserve in Oceanville, working to maintain the bountiful landscape of the area. It was such a fulfilling experience and, though at times we had to battle some fierce mosquitos, it was truly a joy to work with my fellow students and learn so much about them. I am extremely grateful not only for the opportunity to be able to give back to the community and clean up the reserve, but also for the chance to form new friendships, many of which you I would not have been able to pursue if not for the Service Day. Everyone I spoke to about the event had terrific and rewarding experiences with their service, and was glad that they had the opportunity to give back to Stockton, their new “home away from home.” I look forward to participating in this event again next year, as well as other events like it that Stockton hosts, such as the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service (held annually).