Third Blog: Election

I did not attend any events for the 2016 presidential election that were hosted by Stockton University. Instead, I watched the debates with my friends in our dorms. Prior to this election cycle, I had never watched a debate. I watched these debates because it was required for class and because I did not want to miss anything Donald Trump might have said. It was interesting to watch the debates with other people my age because for the most part, our political opinions were similar, even though there were some individual differences. We discussed points brought up by the candidates as we watched. Sometimes, it was like we had our own smaller debate if there was a topic we disagreed on. The people I watched the debates with were all Honors students, so we were able to continue the discussion the next day in class. We did the same thing for the election coverage on November 8th. We watched the electoral votes come in and voiced our opinions about what was occurring and about what would need to happen for Clinton to catch up. Even though I did not attend debate parties or other events, I still liked the fact that Stockton hosts these events. Elections only happen every four years and Stockton took advantage of this by hosting election events to get students more involved in American politics. I am sure it would have been interesting to attend a debate party and hear even more opinions on politics. I hope Stockton has similar events for the next election cycle. I might actually consider attending one.