The Open House

Let me start by saying that applying for Stockton University’s Student Ambassadors program was the most nerve racking and yet rewarding decision I have ever made.
The final round of cuts was upon us, and how else would the board decide who was fit for the ocean than to throw them into the shark tank? Despite the comparison, the open house was nothing to worry about, even though a majority of us applicants had stayed up substantially late rehearsing potential conversations in our heads and practicing our welcoming expressions in the communal bathrooms. Each applicant was assigned to two ambassadors for the day, who would take us in shifts and show us the ropes before letting us take the reins.
My first ambassador and I took charge of welcoming people in the Big Blue gym, which excited me to no end. Wooing adults with a sugar sweet voice and a winning smile was easy, but being able to have actual conversations with potential Stockton students was a challenge all in itself. I dealt with high school students and transfers of all mindsets, some of whom were dead set on coming to this school and some who claimed their parents forced them to be here. No matter what, I greeted every family with equal enthusiasm. I couldn’t wait to share my love for this school with everyone I met. I was even able to help recommend a few prospective athletes to our wonderful athletic program.
I spent a majority of my day doing what I love to do – talk to people. I talked parents’ ears off while giving room tours, and I couldn’t get enough questions about my life here at Stockton from those I gave a campus tour to. I ended the day with a sore throat, cotton mouth, and a few new friends. My name and cell phone number circulated from tour group to tour group as I exchanged information with parents who wanted to know more about our school, as if I had not divulged everything I knew already.
I wish everyone had the opportunity to work an open house. The experience was emotionally exhausting, but so worth it.