Freshman Convocation

To start, the opening statements from President Harvey Kesselman were inspiring and soothing; he made me feel welcomed immediately! I’ve definitely been enjoying my time at Stockton University so far. After Ellen Forney disclosed that she had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, I had trouble believing that she could make such amazing and thought provoking comics. This disorder makes it difficult to express feelings so I commend her for finding such an effective way to express herself. Besides her comics in The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, her comics in Marbles really sent a powerful message. She talks about feeling vulnerable and alone, which is something I think a lot of freshmen were able to relate to on the first day of college. Junior also is also vulnerable and alone when he switches schools, but he draws comics so that everyone, no matter what language they speak, will be able to understand his state of mind. I think that she’s inspired me to find a channel where I can express myself as well as her. It might be my sport or a club I haven’t joined yet, but I’m definitely looking. This event was useful for me and I’m happy that GT told us to go. I think Ellen’s story relates to more than just people suffering from bipolar disorder. She talks about feeling shameful because she has this baggage that she’s carrying, but it’s all in her head because she’s just a normal human being. I honestly feel like anyone with a mood disorder would be able to gain the courage to accept their lives the way they are from listening to Ellen Forney. (Kristen Russo)