Animal Friendly Organization

Tuesday nights on campus are usually nights that you wouldn’t think are active. However, with so many clubs active at Stockton, the activity can be any night of the week. I particularly enjoy Tuesday evenings because of one club that I have become involved with. Classrooms turn into meeting grounds for people with the same interests. Nothing could make a freshman feel more accepted than being surrounded true equals.

Stockton is home to countless clubs and organizations run by students. The club that peaks my interest is the Animal Friendly Organization, or AFO. This club is just what it seems it would be, a club that is aware of animal endangerment and conservations. I came across this club during the Get Involved Fair in September. In my high school, there were the generic clubs like Bio Club and Theater Club, so the sheer volume of different clubs present at Stockton made my jaw drop. I could finally pick a club for myself that would make me happy to participate, rather than just for the extracurricular credit like in high school. I found real enjoyment in AFO because I have a passion for animal life. I have been fascinated by them since I was in the third grade, and in high school there was nothing offered to me that would give me any kind of involvement with animals. The AFO, however, is very highly focused on involvement and participation.

Club meetings are held every Tuesday night at 5:30 PM in B-0003 and there are discussions about volunteer trips to local shelters and animal rescue facilities, fund raisers, and other kind of possible activities for the club itself like a field trip to an aquarium. In early November, the AFO hosted its first bake sale of the year, and raised $119 to be donated to a local horse rescue facility. The AFO, in my life at Stockton, has not only been a place to get involved in my own interests, but also a place to find service projects for my requirement as an honors student that actually made me feel good.

I feel AFO is a club that has involved meetings and every one that you attend makes you more passionate about the cause than you were before. I strongly recommend it to all of my friends that I know care about animals like I do.