S.O.A.R.

I attended the “Stockton Outdoor Adventure Retreat” this summer from August 25th to August 27th. This program (which is most commonly referred to as S.O.A.R.) is designed to help incoming freshmen adapt more easily to college life, and I found that it did just that. I had the opportunity to meet other incoming freshmen and talk one-on-one with professors and T.A.L.O.N.S. (student volunteers that helped run the trip), who were very insightful as to how to get involved and get as much as possible out of my time here at Stockton.

S.O.A.R. was filled with ice breakers and many other opportunities to get to know everyone. Before S.O.A.R. began, I was moving into my dorm with my mom and my stomach was in knots. I was really nervous about making new friends, but as soon as I got to Camp Ockanickon, everyone in my tribe bonded through different activities. We swam in the lake, climbed on the ropes course, collaborated in team building exercises, slept in tiny cabins together, and did a ton of ice breakers. These experiences brought us closer together and I made some great friends. I felt a great sense of community between all of the students by the end of the trip, and I could tell that everyone was relieved to feel so comfortable so quickly.

Looking back at S.O.A.R., I am very happy that I was able to go on this trip and I would recommend it to every freshman. Just the experience at Camp Ockanickan alone was amazing, but the ability to bond with other freshmen and receive advice from the upper classmen volunteers made it even better. I always receive a friendly wave when I see someone that I met at S.O.A.R, and I have taken advice from the upper classmen by getting involved on campus. I couldn’t be happier about my decision to attend S.O.A.R.