S.O.A.R.

Anthony Gingerelli

S.O.A.R was an event offered to incoming freshmen to allow them to get to know other freshmen.  S.O.A.R took an interesting perspective on how to make unfamiliar freshmen bond with each other.  Even though it seemed as if there would be an endless amount of ice breakers, the Talons lead many other meaningful and fun activities.  We learned how to trust and rely on others to complete activities that we were unable to do alone.  Along with the Talons leading activities, the people working at the camp also initiated many activities as well.  We were able to participate in games and trusting exercises, similar to what the Talons had been teaching us. The difference was the camp leaders brought the experiences to a whole new level.

The workers at the camp gave us challenges as simple as untying a rope with no hands to the extreme challenge of having several people holding a rope and supporting you, as you scaled a rock wall.  Trust was a big factor in many of our activities and sometimes difficult to hand over to a complete stranger.  After realizing that there were so many friends that could be trusted, we were able to break down barriers and create new bonds and friendships.  Many of us would not take that initial step on our own, so this was a great way to bond and break away from our “freshman shell.” The S.O.A.R. experience was a unique one that will never be forgotten for me personally.  This is not only because of the bonding exercises we participated in, it was the free time and other opportunities that were available.  During free time there were many fun activities to choose from and participate in. The activities included archery, swimming, canoeing, community service, and freedom to just walk and explore the campsite.  I would have not chosen this type of trip if given a choice, but for sure, I am glad to have had the opportunity to participate.  It opened my eyes to new activities, new endeavors and new friendships.  Trying to immerse myself in all that was offered allowed me to step out of my comfort zone, along with many other freshmen, creating conversation, alliances and comradely.

While all this was enjoyable, there is nothing like a little friendly competition. The students were broken up into eight different tribes. These tribes would create chants, dance and compete against each other in games. To determine the winner, each tribe was scored for each activity performed.  Also in the competition, each tribe had flags which were occasionally stolen from another tribe to assert dominance.  These competitions gave everyone more motivation to compete and try a little bit harder.  Adrenaline was surely pumping!  It created unity, teamwork and strategies for each tribe.  Tribe members grew stronger in their competition against one another.

The S.O.A.R. experience is an opportunity every freshman should take advantage because it is a great time and a great place to make lots of friends.  It was a wonderful way to start my journey at Stockton University. Starting my freshman year with this much fun and excitement only makes me look forward to what else Stockton has to offer me and the many other incoming freshman.