First Annual Celebration of Service

Today is the Celebration of Service Showcase lead by the Office of Service-Learning, Office of Student Development, and the Honors Program. It is in F-wing Atrium from 10am to 2pm. This event opened with Marc Lowenstein’s introductory remarks. His remarks were titled, “The Past, Present, and Future of Service Learning at Stockton.”

I went to support these different presentations and service projects. Both of the organizations that I did my service projects were there and had an area in order to recruit more people, which made me happy. Circle K and Water Watch are the two organizations that I have volunteered with. Circle K does various activities throughout the week and the one that brings the most joy to me is sewing teddy bears and stuffing them for children that have a terminal illness. Water Watch held a beach sweep last semester when we all went to Atlantic City to clean up the beach and I found out that they are hosting another one at the end of April that I plan on attending.

I was also able to stop by Student Development’s station in order to learn about the alternative Spring Break where students go to North Carolina and work with Habitat for Humanity and build a house for an underprivileged family. I plan on trying to do that next year because I personally think that is a very effective way for me to spend my Spring Break, by helping others that need it. This Celebration of Service was very helpful and was an easy way to get a quick glance of all of the opportunities that Stockton has to volunteer. I cannot wait for next year when I will be able to dedicate even more time to the lives of others.