Blood Drive

Earlier this semester, my friend Ryan and I volunteered at the Red Cross Blood Drive in Big Blue. The event ran for two days, both of which had many volunteers that consisted of students, faculty, and community members. While I wish I could have donated, but could not at the particular time, being even a small part of the event was a good overall experience.
As volunteers, we first stayed at the table where donors were given snacks and drinks and made sure they were able to talk normally without feeling dizzy or weak. At one point, someone did almost faint, but they were immediately assisted by a Red Cross worker. I wished that we were more equipped with knowledge as to how to help in situations by these, but we did our best in our task to bring the donors snacks. Also, later we sat at the front table to sign people in as well as give them paperwork with things to be aware of before donating. Interestingly enough, I learned about many more countries than I had imagined that, if one had visited them recently, prohibited certain individuals from donating at all.
Being that people young and old are in need of blood donations every day, I feel it is a great opportunity for blood drives to be held at college campuses, being that so many people are there each day. I feel that for all who are able and willing, it is a great chance to take advantage and be able to help one or more people, depending on how it is being used. Next time there is a blood drive, given that I am able to, I definitely plan on donating blood for the benefit of someone who will need it more than I do.