Blog 12: Drag Queen Show Sponsored by the Stockton University Pride Alliance

On March 24, I attended a drag queen show sponsored by the Stockton University Pride Alliance. The show was intended to build awareness of AIDS and HIV.

The day before the show, members of the Price Alliance walked around the Campus Center food court with bags of candy. They had wrapped a piece of paper around each individual piece of candy that advertised their event. I thought this was the best way that you could advertise an event to college students.

My friend and I decided that we would go to the show the next day. We got to the show and donated to the cause before going inside. When we got into the auditorium, it was much emptier than I had expected. I believe this was due to people not knowing about the event rather than disinterest in the event. When I was telling some of my friends that hadn’t been with me when Pride Alliance members came to our table about the event, they were sad that they had not heard about it. If this event is done in the future, I hope they advertise more, because they could get much more people to the event and donating to the cause.

There were two queens who performed several dance numbers for the length of the show. Their costumes were fantastic and I’m jealous of how well they were able to dance in heels. I can’t even confidently walk in heels.

In the middle of the show, there was a break to talk about how to prevent the spread of diseases such as AIDS and HIV, since awareness was the purpose of this event. We were informed of the preventative measures available and the proper way to use them.