MLK Day of Service

On Martin Luther King Jr. Day, the first day of the Spring 2015 semester, I participated in the Martin Luther King Jr. Day of service. We were given breakfast and t-shirts in the morning, and then brought into a large room. Students and community members were instructed to choose a table that was associated with the project that they wanted to be a part of that day. My friends and I sat at the Circle K table. We listened to many short speeches and a song. After that, people participating in off campus projects left the room. Circle K participants were then able to spread out because we were staying in that room.

The Circle K supervisors prepared various projects for people to help out with. My table put together craft kits for children in the hospital. They were craft kits to make rainbows with a cloud on the end. We cut out colored strips of construction paper, selected three crayons, grabbed a handful of cotton balls, cut cloud shapes out of paper plates, and put all of that in a plastic bag. We included directions on how to assemble the cloud and rainbow craft, too.

When we ran out of supplies to construct the craft kits, we moved on to making friendship bracelets. The friendship bracelets were also for children in the hospital. We were given string in multiple colors and the freedom to make any type of bracelet that we wanted to make. Making bracelets friendship bracelets was something I grew up doing, so it was fun to make them. It brought back a lot of nice memories for me and is sure to make a child smile now. The 2015 Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service was a great day.