Animal Shelter

On February 28th, 2015 I went to the animal shelter. I went with other members of the honors program. It was a one time organized event. I was looking forward to going to the animal shelter, because I really like animals. In high school, I volunteered at an animal hospital every Saturday morning. This service opportunity really appealed to me. The small group of us that were going met in the arts and sciences building at 9:15 in the morning. We took three cars to get there. The drive was short, and the shelter was easy to get there.

When we got to the animal shelter, we were given our assignments. There were three options: cleaning, laundry, or phone calls. I chose to clean with some friends. We swept, mopped, and vacuumed. The front of the shelter looked very clean and presentable when we were done. The cleaning that we did was helpful to the shelter because the front room is the first impression people get of the place. They spend time in that room before they see the animals. If they think the place is not in good condition, they might choose to leave and go to a different facility that looks more presentable.

After we cleaned, we were allowed to play with the cats. The cats were so sweet. They were very happy to be held and paid attention to. Playing with the cats was my favorite part of the morning. After we played with the cats, we had a reflection session. At the reflection session, most people agreed that interacting with the cats was the best part. It was nice to spend a morning with animals. Overall, the service project was a success. I am glad that I participated.