Fear and Friends

Paranoia is the feeling coursing through my veins. Constantly looking over my shoulder, I walk cautiously to my Monday 8:30 AM class. No sign of a green headband, barely even a Nerf gun in sight. It is the week of Humans vs. Zombies, or HvZ, a game which puts stealth and bravery to the test. During the week, all the participants wear a green band. For humans, the band is clearly visible and around their arm; while for the zombies, the band is clearly visible and on their head. The week starts out with one original zombie, the OZ, who then begins to infect humans. Humans are armed with Nerf guns, which, when hit with one, will make a zombie inactive for ten minutes. Every night of the week there is a mission that the humans need to complete. During this mission, the humans are not allowed indoors, which are the only safe zones; thus, giving free reign to all the hungry zombies. As more and more humans are tagged, the more and more intense and paranoid the rest of the humans feel.
Heading back from class on Monday, I had my first experience with the zombies. With a group of three friends, we took the long way around to the dorms. After being chased by the only three zombies created and sprinting to our housing, we finally understood why this game was such a test. Later that night on the first mission, two other friends and I ran into some trouble and became part of the zombie hoard. We were not at all upset and were in fact a little relieved to have that weight off our shoulders. We changed the position of our bands and joined the hoard.
Over the course of the week, the number of humans dwindled as the amount of the undead grew. Through this game, I have learned to take more risks and have more confidence in myself. The risk comes from knowing I could be hit with a Nerf gun at any moment; however, that is part of the game and it is only ten minutes, not the entire week. Also, charging a squad of humans or executing a sneak attack requires confidence in myself to know I can do it.
Almost 200 people were involved with HvZ and while nobody can know everyone involved, there was a certain bond that developed between the people in the groups. While wearing my band throughout the halls, I would spot many other zombies roaming around to their classes. We didn’t have to know each other or even have seen each other before on campus, but there was a sort of look and smile that would be exchanged. I, for one, have made friends with people during this week that I had never even known were on this campus. Humans vs. Zombies is more than a silly game of tag. It brings people together and unifies them, whether they are Human or Zombie.