Day of Service

I wasn’t completely sure what to expect for my first Day of Service. My friends and I line up in our respective lines to get signed in and go down to the campus food court to have breakfast. We sit gathered around the table, focused on what exciting work we will be doing. Immediately, my eyes lock in on Dune Replenishment. Being a marine biology major, I love doing anything I can that will help the shore. Being able to plant dune grasses to replenish dune damage done after Sandy made it almost a done deal! Once my name was put on the list and the welcoming remarks were said, the dune replenishment bus was on its way.
Once in Atlantic City, we were given a briefing of what we will exactly be doing. Using bamboo sticks, we were to dig holes deep enough for the roots of the dune grasses. Easy enough, right? Well, considering we are not just digging in sand, those bamboo sticks could take a very tough toll. In some places, the bamboo was the perfect tool. However, in most places, a pickaxe would have done better.
Little by little, progress was made. The 2,000 plants we were handed in the morning were slowly becoming part of a sand dune. The blue van that was placed as our goal line became nearer and nearer. After a quiet lunch break by the shoreline, we finally reached out goal. The last grass was planted and the team felt accomplished. We gathered for a picture and waited by the shoreline until the bus came. Walking along the shore and the ruins of a boardwalk really made me think. The project made me think about the magnitude of damage that a storm like Sandy can do. Not only were we working by what used to be a boardwalk and is now just stone structures with no boards attached, the dunes we were restoring were half in the street. Also, while planting grass seems like a minor contribution, the project made me think about how a simple thing like planting grass can help with not only erosion, but also a new habitat for animals, who have been left without a home due to Sandy.
The Day of Service was a wonderful event. I was extremely grateful to be able to contribute any service that was needed to Atlantic City. Dunes? Replenished. Amazing day? Most definitely!