Being Sick on Campus

As a freshman, one thing you worry about is what to do when you get sick on campus. There’s no mom to take care of you. You are responsible for deciding if you are so sick that you cannot go to class, if you are sick enough to go to the doctor or if you are even sick enough to go home. When I got sick on campus the first thing I did was call home, which is a natural reaction. The next step was to go to the doctor. Fortunately, we have a place you can go to on campus that can be used with your insurance so you personally do not have to pay money to go in. This is the wellness center at West Quad. I went there when I had an awful rash on my knee. I had no idea what it was, but the knowledgeable people there knew that it was chiggers. Chiggers happen when a very tiny bug bites you and you have a reaction to it. It is a common thing to happen here at Stockton if you are out in the woods a lot. Anyway they are able to prescribe medication and can send it to any pharmacy where you can go and pick it up. They accept walk-ins and will evaluate what is wrong. If it is something not life-threatening then they will arrange an appointment with you to see the doctor that is on campus. In my experience, they are professional, courteous, and make the appointment as soon as possible to be able to help you. If, however, it is something that needs immediate attention, then there is always the hospital. Luckily, we have a hospital practically on campus. Atlanticare has seen many Stockton students and from what I have heard they take care of their patients very well. I personally have not had an experience there, and hopefully neither will you. Altogether the experience of being sick on campus is not fun, but there are friendly, helpful people surrounding you who are willing to help.