Stockton a Cappella, A Family Affair

For as long as I can remember, my house has always been full of music. My dad has been in various bands throughout the years and the radio is always blasting classics while he works on one of his many home improvement projects. My little sister plays six instruments, and I have sung as a member of my church choir since I was twelve. Though I am not involved with any of musical organizations while at school, I jumped at the opportunity to see the Stockapella concert on campus last week with my roommate.

The show featured Stockton’s three different a Cappella groups: Stockata, The Stocktones, and Stockapella- each with it’s own unique style and sound. The curtain rose to all three groups on stage together singing a chilling rendition of Fun’s Some Nights that truly started the show off on a high note. Following the opening performance, each of the three groups sang a selection of songs showcasing their own unique sound. First up was Stockata, our newest all-female vocal group. One of my favorite performances of the show was their rendition of Madonna’s Like A Prayer, led by soloist Gabby Marrone. Stockata was followed by the Stocktones, a co-ed vocal group that sang several more alternative song choices, but finished their set with an upbeat rendition of Bonnie Tyler’s Hero featuring soloist Sarah Baginsky.

While all three groups are composed of truly talented singers, it was evident the best was saved for last. The final set of the evening was performed by Stockton’s award-winning competitive a Cappella group Stockapella. Stockapella has won several awards, including Best Choreography and Best Vocal Percussionist at the Quarter Finals this year. After witnessing their performance at the spring concert, it was evident why the group has been so successful. From chilling solo performances of Mumford and Son’s The Cave by Andrew Treuer and Amy Winehouse’s Back to Black by Chrisina Cibotti, to a tear-jerking rendition of Phill Collin’s You’ll Be In My Heart, Stockapella was truly in a league of its own.

The show concluded with all three groups reconvening on stage for their traditional farewell version of Happy Ending by Mika, during which a Cappella alumni are invited back on stage to sing with current students. It’s evident the a Cappella program at Stockton is truly a family environment, and enjoying their performance on Monday night reminded me of my own musical family waiting for me at home.