Anita Hill

On September 19, 2012, The Richard Stockton College of New Jersey was visited by a special guest speaker, Anita Hill.  Anita Hill is a writer and a victim of sexual harassment in the workplace.  She visited Stockton to tell her story, and to inspire women to stand up for their rights.  Unfortunately, even though she arrived with noble intentions, I feel that the Anita Hill event was ineffective and dull.

I walked into the event center with high expectations and excitement for the speech.  What I witnessed was a great disappointment.  The speech was nothing like I was expecting.  I felt that Professor Hill spoke in far too many circles and repeated the same argument over and over again.  After the first twenty minutes, I found it difficult to focus on her story and fought myself to stay awake.

This speech was uninspiring and downright boring.   I was unable to retain any of the information given by Doctor Hill because I could not focus on a single word she spoke.  She did not speak of any of her experiences or how to truly deal with harassment in the work place.  I felt as though she preached too much about history and women’s rights with far too little personal input.  As a victim of harassment, I was hoping to be able to find a strong connection with Anita Hill.  Instead, I sat unentertained as I stared, eyes unmoving, at the clock, wondering when the speech would be over.  Once the questioning was over, I was relieved to have been able to walk out the doors.  This event proved to be a great disappointment, and a huge waste of time.  I was unimpressed with Doctor Hill’s presentation, and will most likely not attend her future speeches.