NAACP Open Mic Night

As a member of Gospel Choir, I have come to know many people and support them however I can.  I did this when I went to NAACP’s Open Mic night on February 15th and participated to support my Gospel Choir brother.  Practice was canceled, so all of Gospel Choir could go out and show their support for NAACP, for our own David is the president.  The Open Mic was at the Coffee House by Dunkin Donuts in the Campus Center.

At Open Mic night, everything was welcome.  There were rappers, interpretive dancers, singers, piano and ukulele players, a capella singers, poets, etc.  All of the acts were very well done, and some people even went up a few times!  One guy sang and played the ukulele, something I thought I’d never see.  Several members of Gospel Choir also sang a selection while another played the piano for them.

I also sang, after needing lots of encouragement from my Gospel Choir people, for I really do not like singing alone in front of people.  I sang Shark in the Water by VV Brown a capella. It was very nerve racking at first, but I eventually got very into.  People were clapping along to the beat, hooting and hollering, and really just getting into the performance.  The applause I got was huge, and everyone really think I sounded amazing.  I really supported NAACP then!  Gospel Choir also said welcome home.  They were definitely glad to have me.  I was so loud that my one friend at Gamer’s Club on the second floor could hear me.  That was definitely interesting.

All in all, going to events and participating yourself is the most fun, for it builds the most memories and friendships.  Next Open Mic night, I’m there.  Will you be?