Honors Elections, 2013

Remember to vote! Check for an email on November 30 with a link to the ballot. You will have until December 4, 12 noon to vote. Only one ballot per Honors student, please!

Student Director

William Goodheart

Hey guys! I am Bill Goodheart and I am your current Student Director. This is the end of my second year on the Executive Board and I am hoping that it is not my last. As you all may know, I work well with others and I am not one to make decisions without taking into account the thoughts of my peers. I try to keep myself involved in planning the events and helping out with the projects in Honors.  Please vote for me for Student Director!

Student Assistant Director

Matthew Widjaja

As we move forward, we must begin to transition this program to our Freshmen & Sophomores. Yes, we made headway by finally updating the constitution so everybody knows what we’re responsible for, but this moment is greater than describing how this weird pirate ship is run. We need to think differently and make the eBoard more accessible. Upperclassmen, we must begin working with our underclassmen, so they have the same ambition & confidence we have and so that one day, our underclassmen can be their own captains of this pirate ship and lead this program forward. I’m running for a second term because I want to improve this collaboration so that our future students can move this program forward. I need your help to finish what we began. Thanks.

Events Co-Directors

Jessa Hernandez and Sage Mitchell

Hello, my name is Jessa Hernandez, I am a freshman and I am running for the position of director of events. I am organized, able to plan out events, and am willing to create and plan fun times. Currently I am treasurer of the Residence Housing Association and work toward creating and initiating events that the entire community can get involved in, like building battles and a holiday movie night in the TRLC. I am also involved on the special events committee of the Stockton Entertainment Team and have helped organize events there as well. I have had numerous learning experiences and am ready to apply what I’ve learned to this position as well. I wanted to run for this position because I believe I can put a new spin on the position by keeping the events upbeat and advertising the events more throughout our honors community. So I hope you vote for who you think is best for the position, whether that is me or my opponents. Thank you for your consideration and I hope you vote for us.

To me, being the Director of Events is about being organized and proactive while also thinking creatively about fun events. I know I am qualified for this position because I am organized and I can plan ahead to book rooms for events, plan reasonable dates and times for different events. More importantly, I know I would be able to collaborate with the rest of the executive board to come up with fun and engaging events that will bring the Honors Program closer together as an academic family. I am proud to be a part of this program, and I think being Director of Events and planning new activities for the program would be a good way to give back to the program.

Public Outreach

Nicole Vancil

Hello my name is Nicole (Nikki) Vancil and I am applying for the Out Reach position.  I was co-captain of my color guard my senior year where we placed third overall at Championships.  I was also the head of my school’s wardrobe department for the school play where my costumes got first place at the South New Jersey Theater Awards.  In these two positions I had to know how to keep people professional and in line, how to manage time and keep organized, delegate tasks, and be able to adapt when something goes wrong (which it always does) without missing a beat.  With experience in these positions and the abilities that I learned from them I believe that I will be perfect for the Out Reach position.  Thank you for your time.

Community Service

Cherise Edwards

Hey fellow Honors students, my name is Cherise Edwards and I am currently running for the community service executive director position on the Executive Board. I am a sophomore and an Accounting major, Economics minor. I am also currently an Honors LLC Resident Assistant in E-Court. I want to listen to what the Honors program as a whole would like to see as far as community service opportunities are concerned. I know many of you have the Service Learning component and I want to try to help everyone achieve their goals of two service projects per semester. These service projects will still be beneficial to the Honors students who have to reach certain goals with hours of volunteer work. I want to create better opportunities for the Honors program. I plan on advertising the community services events in a way that they will be successful. I just want to give the Honors program opportunities to continue their community service, doing projects that they love.

Peer Mentoring

Zahara Ayub

My name is Zahara Ayub and I am rerunning for the position of Peer Mentoring Director. During my term, the position was recreated. There were a lot more responsibilities incorporated into the job and success was shown through  dedication. Last semester,  I worked very hard on making sure that Honors Scholars Day was an excellent experience for the freshmen.  I’m proud to say that we had the most participation in the history of this event! A lot of people may not realize, but there is a lot of detail work that must  go  into the  planning of this  event to ensure that it runs smoothly.  Also, throughout the summer, I worked very tirelessly to follow through with my new event, “Mentor-Mentee Move-in Day”. I ran into a lot of roadblocks when coordinating this event, but in the end, it was successfully carried out. Mentors were able to move in early and help the freshmen move into their dorms. I am happy to say that since this event was such a success, it will now be a permanent event recognized annually by housing. Mentors and mentees have each benefited from participating in the events sponsored by this position. Every position on the e-board has its specific focus, and for this position, the focus is to make sure our freshmen integrate into our program, and ultimately the Stockton community.  The purpose of having mentors is to give each freshman a designated helping hand when making the transition to college life. This relationship between underclassmen and upperclassmen is detrimental to the structure of the Honors Program, and this position is a key factor in making that possible.  If you would reelect me, I will promise to continue working hard for this program.

Fundraising and Finance

Kristen Valenti

Hey guys. I’m Kristen Valenti and I’m running for Fundraising and Finance Director. While looking over all the possible eBoard positions, I felt my skills were best suited to take on the responsibilities of this position.  When I was in high school, I managed the band I played in for three years. Managing included keeping a close eye on the finances and publicizing via social networking sites and school various gigs and merch we had, in a sense the overall fundraising for the band. I thoroughly looked for the best options for each investment made and allotted money evenly so we were never in the red. In addition to this, I organized gigs with people to fundraise for charities, which were successful in their goals.   I believe with my experience I can effectively be Fundraising and Finance Director for the Honors Program.  If elected, I plan to take into account everyone’s suggestions for what to do with the money we have for our program. Thank you for your time.

Junior Class Representative

Chris McManus

Sophomore Class Representative

Mary Kate Fitzpatrick

Hello, I’m Mary-Kate and I am running for Sophomore class Representative. I feel that it is very important that everyone has an equal say in the decisions made for the program. With this said, each class should have the ability to have their opinions voiced. I am willing to listening and convey the issues and concerns of others in the sophomore class. I have experience in leading a large group from coaching; thus, I am able to balance multiple opinions so that almost everyone is satisfied. I am approachable, and anyone can express their opinions openly to me. This is why I would like to be Sophomore class representative.

Randy Weible

Good afternoon, fellow Honors Students! My name is Randy P. Weible, and I am running for the position of Sophomore class representative on the 2013 Honors Program Executive Board. For the past year, I have served as Freshman class representative on the E-board, representing the Honors Class of 2015 at Honors meetings, Faculty Advisory Board meetings, and executive board meetings, voicing the issues specifically related to our class in an attempt to seek resolution. The matriculation of our class in 2011 came during a time of many changes to the Honors Program at Stockton. Specifically, the implementation of the new Service-Learning system brought about a great deal of confusion early on in the Fall 2011 semester. Communicating these issues directly to Dr. Rosner and my peers on the executive board, I was able to bring these issues to light, and hopefully, work towards a resolution and aide in a smooth transition into this new system. To this day, members of my class still approach me with questions and concerns, and I continue to serve as a medium between members of our class and the Honors Program and as a source of information about the daily happenings of the Stockton College Honors Program. If reelected, I will continue to serve my class on the 2013 Executive Board, ensuring that our voices are heard, and that every member of our sophomore class continues to the enjoy the benefits associated with being a member of The Honors Program at The Richard Stockton College of New Jersey. Thank You.

Freshman Class Representative

Matthew Zivi

I enjoyed my high school years.  I had a tight group of friends, and spent my time with them, doing hw, and sometimes even working out.  But my main regret is that I didn’t get involved: didn’t do any clubs, didn’t go to any sporting events, and maybe went to a pep rally or two.  I was interested, but always had an excuse: freshman year, I was too new.  Sophomore year: a new job and a harder course load.  Junior year I worried about SAT’s and colleges, and senior year I wanted to take it easy.  But I now realize how much I missed, and don’t want to put myself through that again.   So I joined the honors program, not knowing what to expect; I’m glad I did.  The people are amazing, and I am constantly pushed and challenged.  I plan to contribute my time now to make up for all the years I missed in high school, and hope to make significant improvements to an already spectacular program.