monster.com

During Welcome Week I attended the monster.com presentation in the Performing Arts Center, along with many other incoming freshman. The presentation consisted of informative videos and an interactive speaker that conveyed information about the Monster website and the current job market.

The speaker told us the specifics about how companies have changed the way they hire employees. Instead of reading each resume, they make a first cut of applicants by their GPA. I found this interesting because I have always been told that having good grades was not the only important thing to have when applying for a job. Some applicants will not get the interview even if they have more experience or more service projects. Furthermore, she told us about the importance of internships. Doing multiple internships during college is the best way to gain experience in an intended field. The speaker also gave us the advice to internship for rival companies in the same field to be able to negotiate salary if both companies offer a job in the future.

Moreover, the videos shown were very informative, while also being entertaining. The
statistics in the first video were extremely interesting.

I enjoyed the presentation because the information about landing a job was extremely updated and helpful, so I felt more confident about getting a job after college. I hope to utilize this information in the future.