Out of Eden Walk

Hello and welcome back to my blog!

Have you ever wanted to travel the world without leaving the comfort of your own bed? Now you can!

How? By exploring one man’s journey of retracing the pathways of humans who migrated out of Africa and made the world what it is today.

The Out of Eden Walk was conducted by Paul Salopek. Paul wanted to retrace the pathways of humans who migrates out of Africa and took over the world during the Stone age. Throughout his travel journey, he blogged, videotaped and reported all of his findings and discoveries. By Paul doing this it shows us that if we take a moment to slow down and observe everything around us, we can rediscover the world that we live in. 

Let’s explore his website:

My initial reaction to this website was that it was going to be confusing to use since there is so many places to look. However, I found this website as a great tool. It allowed you to get a general overview of all the areas that Paul had visited on his journey. Not only did he write a short synopsis of these places, but his photos and video of the areas were posted in the areas too.

There were three Journeys that stood out to me. These journeys were: 

Milestone 68: A Small Jackpot was one of my favorite milestones. While there wasn’t a lot about this area or many photos, I felt as though I could feel the presence of the area. I could feel the man with the child’s presence and feel the joy that they were having. I could tell this area felt cozy and comfortable for Paul due to the family feeling. 

Another Milestone that stood out to me was #53: Rally. I thought that this milestone was quite interesting. It should how people weren’t getting treated fairly. However, I also thought that it was quite interesting how from place to place that Paul goes to he gets different interactions with people. I love being able to see and feel like I’m traveling with him through this website.

Lastly, I found that in Chapter 3: Autumn Wars was fascinating. I thought that seeing that there was a refurbished church that was used for pilgrims and had a pension was different. This also stood out to me because it is the closest area to where I was born. Seeing how life is like here really makes you grateful for what you have. 

All in all, I loved this website set up. I love how there are chapter and within the chapter are different places and experiences that Paul has encountered. I love how interactive ad how personal it feels. He not only talks about his experience, but it feels like he’s bringing you on the trip with him. I would love to use this website to teach about the different areas of the world as the photos and descriptions are quite up to date and really show what life is like currently around the world. I feel as though this would help further a student’s understanding. 

If you would like to check this website out please go to https://www.nationalgeographic.org/projects/out-of-eden-walk/articles/2014-09-apostle

For more of my blogs and content follow me on twitter:

@RachelD98977467