Categories
Uncategorized

What does Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality do in the classroom

Us teachers are always trying to find a new way to teach our students both fun and educational. Using old faithful PowerPoint and textbooks is boring; we need to stay up to date with the technology and find a way to include it in the classroom. Nowadays, students are getting cell phones, computers, and tablets at younger ages and are very skilled in using these technologies. We should now use our students’ technology skills in the classroom; our assignments and lessons should be more technology-based. This is when Virtual and Augmented Reality comes into play in our classrooms. I was reading an article today about VR and AR and using it in the classroom to make it more fun and creative. This article also compares the two to see which one would work best in your own classroom.

Let talk about Virtual Reality; all of us most likely have seen the commercials with the big goggles over someone’s face and controls in both hands. This is a Virtual Reality set; they can cost good money and can be difficult for young students to use. My dad has a set from Microsoft, and I have tried it before and believe me when I tell you, it is not easy to do. I also got scared. I was playing a zombie game, and the zombies just get right into your face you jump back. Of course, in my classroom, I will not be using it to play zombie games, but I have to consider that it may be harder for my younger students to use.

Using VR headsets in the classroom is going to change the way we teach our students. It is going to be in the classrooms from first grade to college. Using this set in the classroom, students will see the content of every subject taught in school. Soon students will even be able to use them for gym class. When it comes to the VR headset, I am not sure that I would like to use it in my classroom yet.

Augmented Reality is the tool I am very most excited to try in my classroom. Mostly because it is easier for young students and teachers to use in the classroom. Since it is so easy to use, students can also outside of the classroom when they are home. Using AR in the classroom allows students to see textbook images in 3D instead of 2D. Using the app for AR on the phone or iPad, students can hover their camera over the picture, and come to life in 3D. Using this feature allows students to get a better insight into the topic they are learning and keep students interested in what is being taught. A big reason I would pick AR over VR is that there is no additional cost, the school does not have to buy the headsets. They just have to hover the phone camera over what they want to be put into 3D and made interactive.

Using these tools will keep students interactive and keep them connected. It also allows them to be global learners and teachers to become global educators. We can stay connected with other teachers and students around the world using VR and AR. We have found ways that other teachers are using it. With VR, we can have our students be in our classroom but experience the rainforest, cities, and deserts worldwide.

Let me know what you think about VR and AR. Will you be using it in the classroom? How would you use it? Check out this youtube video that also compares to the two for more information.