The Effectiveness of Google Hyperdocs

Throughout the semester we have learned about many effective tools to use in our future classrooms! The latest tool we’ve been exposed to is Google Hyperdocs. So, what exactly is a Google Hyperdoc? A Google Hyperdoc is a lesson through Google documents which provides students with access to instructions, links, tasks, and other interactive segments, in one document. I have included a video, further explaining what a Google Hyperdoc is, below.

Google Hyperdocs were created as a way to enhance student learning. The generic model of writing lesson plans, teaching lessons one by one, and finishing with a final assessment, is a teacher-focused model which some believe limits learning. Check out this blog I found, “How Hyperdocs Can Transform Your Teaching“, for some examples of how this teacher-directed model can limit student learning!

The blog also lists some of the benefits of hyperdocs:

• Fewer lectures: removes the need for direct instruction from the teacher
  • Greater face-to-face interactions: frees teachers up for more individual, one-on-one, time with students who need it
  • Flexibility: if a part of the lesson isn’t working, it can be immediately changed
  • Multimodal opportunities: allows for the inclusion of all sorts of multimedia
  • Privacy: a teacher can customize a Hyperdoc, for a student who needs it, without anyone else needing to know

Personally, I found the Google Hyperdoc, provided by Professor Wendt, to be very easy to navigate. I would absolutely use this feature in my future classrooms!

I’ve included a video, below, for anyone interested in learning how to create a Google Hyperdoc of their own.

However, if videos aren’t your thing, I have also included a link to an example of a template incorporating Hyperdocs into en English lesson!