Meet the Greeks

On September 14, 2017 I attended the Meet the Greeks event with my roommate and another friend. I have never had an interest in Greek life, but I decided to go anyway because my roommate really wanted to go. I was just hoping that I would get some free food out of it, which I did not end up getting. My plan was to just follow my roommate and friend around the room silently while trying not to get too close to any over-excited sorority member. I did not think Greek life was taken so seriously at Stockton, but all of the sorority and fraternity members seem to be very dedicated to their chapters. I was bored at first, but I decided to actually participate instead of watching and had a lot better of a time.

The first sorority we walked up to was Sigma Sigma Sigma because my roommate’s friend is in the sorority, so it was one of her top choices. The girl we talked to bombarded us with tons of overwhelming information that was not well explained, so we walked away feeling pretty confused and my friends were unsure about whether they still wanted to join a sorority. We decided to move on a talk to a few more sororities and actually ended up learning a lot about pledging, rushing, and just information about sorority life in general. After attending Meet the Greeks my opinion on Greek life has changed. I no longer think of sorority girls as brain-washed party girls, but rather involved students that are passionate and willing to help. Although I respect Greek life now, I still do not want to join one because they take up a lot of time and dedication.

All in all, I would recommend going out of your comfort zone to witness something you may not know a lot about. I was able to learn about Greek life, which I previously had no clue about. If my friends never dragged me there, then I would still be ignorant and judgmental towards sororities.