NAMS Laboratory

On January 23, in USC 221, I began my first day in the NAMS laboratory as a chemical lab assistant where my job was to prepare chemicals and prep for the chemistry labs as well as their finals. Upon walking into the lab, I was shocked at all the appliances and intense organization for all the chemicals and supplies. I was provided with lab googles and a lab coat (LAB COAT!!) and set off with simple tasks at first. However, as the weeks led on, I was given more complex tasks such as preparing 24 L of NaOH and cutting 500 strips of Magnesium. This job has taught me so much about chemistry as well as time management since I go straight from class to work and back to class. The amount of information I have learned hands-on and introductions to all the chemistry professors has definitely allowed me to place my foot in the door for which I am grateful.

I am still working at these facilities and would recommend any student to take a small-time job in their current major to truly experience it.