Run, Run Rudolph

On November 19, 2016, the Stockton Honors Program sponsored the first annual Run, Run Rudolph 5k race. Kate Volpe, service director of the Honors Program, spearheaded the event and encouraged Stockton students to become involved, whether it be running in the race or volunteering to work behind the scenes. Students of all levels came out to fundraise for the worthy cause and get into the Christmas spirit; all proceeds from the event were going to be used to purchase Christmas gifts for families in need around the local community. Following the race, there was a session for all the volunteers to discuss the positive and negative aspects of the day as well as provide input on how the event could be run more smoothly in the future.

My friends and I volunteered to help with Run, Run Rudolph, including set up at seven o’clock in the morning. Although I slept through my alarm, I was able to make it to the event prior to registration to set up the remaining water stations and make posters of encouragement that would be seen throughout the course. At eight o’clock, registration began. I was assigned to hold up a sign that directed runners to the appropriate room inside the TRLC. Standing outside of the campus center in frigid temperatures was not my ideal Saturday morning, but it was rewarding to know that I was a part of such an exciting fundraising event for a worthy cause. Finally, the racers were all checked in, and the volunteers were distributed across the course around Lake Fred. Before I went back outside, I had to stop at Dunkin Donuts for a hot chocolate and a donut for an extra boost of energy to cheer on the runners as they ran by.

After everyone completed the race, runners enjoyed water and fresh fruit while listening to popular Christmas music and socializing with friends. Kate held a closing ceremony where she congratulated all the runners and thanked everyone for their help and participation throughout the day. As runners started to leave, volunteers began cleaning up for the reflection session. Everyone who took part in the session was given an index card to record the best and worst parts of the day and how improvements could be made for the next few years. Overall, people were very analytical, and it was awesome to see the commitment to making the event the best it can be. The first annual Run, Run Rudolph 5k race was a success, and I look forward to volunteering at it for years to come!