Commuters on the Go: Afternoon of Service

I have been able to become a little more involved in campus activities as the semester continues and I have not been disappointed.  One event that really stood out to me was the Afternoon of Service hosted by Stockton’s Commuters On the Go club.  This club was created to help commuters become more connected to the campus and become more involved so they do not miss out on any college experiences as someone who does not live on campus.  The event was held on October 13 from 4:30 to 6 and happens annually.

I first went to this event to fulfill one of my honors program requirements and was really surprised at how much fun it was.  In the Board of Trustees room in the main campus center, there were three tables set up with different things to do.  The table that I sat at was set up with patterned cloths and stuffed animal stuffing.  At that table, our task was to make teddy bears that will be given to cancer patients at the hospital.  A different table had colored paper and markers to make cards for homeless people.  The last table was set up to make heart shaped baskets for people living in nursing homes.  

At the end of the event, we also had a reflection session.  This is where the impact really kicked in.  Zeal Kamdar, the student that was running the event explained to us who these crafts were for and she was able to connect them all with one single aspect.  She explained to us that all of these people were connected because their misfortunes were not chosen by them.  It is easy to understand why cancer patients were not able to choose their misfortune, but most people will assume and not realize that homeless people and people living in nursing homes did not choose that living arrangement.  The majority of homeless people are homeless because they are unable to earn enough money to buy a house.  Even when they do have a job, a home is too much money for them to buy.  They were not able to have a choice between living in a home and being homeless.  People in nursing homes are usually admitted by their family, regardless of if they want to be or not.  Although being put in a home against their wishes is unfortunate, that is not where their misfortune lies.  A lot of nursing homes mistreat their residents, resulting in the residents being physically abused, not having their needs met, and having their well being ignored.  This is very important because not many people know how dangerous nursing homes can be to their loved ones.  

Overall, I had an amazing time at this event and was very surprised at the information I learned.  I will definitely think back to what I have learned the next time I walk past a homeless person or a nursing home.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by nolank7. Bookmark the permalink.

About nolank7

My friends and I send pictures of food we're eating in our groupchat and my mom has asked me once if I was a foodie while giving me a worried look. I've watched the entire series of The Office 3 times and continuously write in a public google doc because I'm that type of person