Gregory Pardlo – Visiting Writers Series

Paige Weisman

Although this was not the reflection session I thought I would be attending on October 10, I was glad that I got to listen to Gregory Pardlo’s poetry. A hometown hero who grew up in New Jersey, it was refreshing to hear stories about him and his family venturing the streets of Philadelphia. When he was introduced, he was portrayed as a complex writer. The Stockton faculty member highlighted the fact that he wrote about world issues like racism and poverty, yet also incorporated other art mediums into his work. Pardlo said that Bruce Springsteen and Jimmy Page have made appearances in his prose.
When Pardlo took the stage, I felt immediately connected to him when he asked “Does anybody even know who Jimmy Page is?” I raised my hand with pride.
Beaming, he asked, “Can you tell me what he’s known for?! I just need to hear you say it out loud.” I replied, “Led Zeppelin!”
It was very relaxing to listen to a craft with which I am not familiar. His flowery word choice thrilled my inner-writer. The poet was a captivating speaker. I was engrossed in his performance. If he returned to Stockton, I would make every effort to attend because I appreciate when people can articulate their thoughts with ease and with beautiful metaphors. His public speaking skills are admirable and I can see why he is a Pulitzer Prize winner.