Snow Storm: Jonas!

This weekend, snowstorm Jonas turned Stockton into a winter wonderland! Although the school had our safety in mind when recommending our evacuation from the campus, those of us who remained on campus had a great time enjoying the long-awaited winter weather. My friends and I built snowmen, trekked to Lake Pam to see the water, and of course drank plenty of hot chocolate to keep warm! I was so thankful that my mom reminded me to get a new winter coat; however, I couldn’t help but think of our homeless population that isn’t as fortunate. For most, the snow is a time of play and fun.

The Honors Program encourages service throughout the year and the winter weather is among the greatest hardship that the homeless population has to face. The Covenant House –an organization which deals with displaced youths– and the Red Cross –which often runs coat-drives to support the veterans– both contribute massively to alleviating the burden of the cold for those less fortunate. When I get home, I’ll certainly be sorting through my jackets and donating as many as I can.