Another Great Day of Service !

At the Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service, me and fellow Honors students attended to join the day’s events and contribute to our community. Because I attended the Day of Service in the Fall, I was excited to see what activities would be at the Spring’s Day of Service. Among the many organizations, each with their own service-based projects, my friends and I decided to partake in the projects organized by Circle K because we heard about the activities they had scheduled for the day.

There were two different sewing projects going on, each heading to their own destination. Heart surgery is very trying process that leaves the patient emotionally and physically drained. One of the projects was to make pillows for those recovering with fabric and stuffing. We loved making something that we knew would facilitate the recovery for someone suffering.

The second project was another sewing activity; however, this time, the recipients were newborn babies! These small baby toys were for newborns to facilitate the parent-baby bonding process were the two we took part in. As I was sewing the details onto the baby’s toy, I realized that I was becoming part of another life. When the baby’s box of earliest things are gathered together, encased with love and sentiment, their first toy would be one that I made. Forming a connection with a family I would otherwise have no relation to, I sewed as many baby toys as I could and will hopefully be making more in my own time that I can donate!