The Importance of Tea

Welcome Week was a great way for freshman and transfer students to kick-start their new experience at Stockton University. Many of Welcome Week’s events included speakers, comedians, free samples, and much more. Of all the mandatory Welcome Week events, one of the most important was the Title IX presentation, which was held on the last day of Welcome Week. The event was presented twice during the day, and each time, males and females were separated. By separating the student body by gender, we had access to more individualized information, as well as to a more comfortable environment to discuss such personal topics. The Title IX presentation provided students with important information on how to get help in the face of sexual assault, where to look when in need of support, and much more.

First of all, at the presentation, students learned that the Title IX is a federal law that prohibits discrimination based on gender. One of the heaviest topics Laurie Dutton, Director of the Women’s, Gender & Sexuality Center, talked about was sexual assault on campus. She mentioned how there is a Red Zone during the first six weeks of school in which individuals are more susceptible to sexual assault. The fact that there even is a proven Red Zone time period really hit me because it makes sense; the start of a new experience, like college, can make anyone vulnerable and likely to do things that he or she normally would not. The most impactful video of the presentation was the “tea” video, which defines consent as asking someone if he or she wants tea. The video was funny and simple, but it made its point of what defines consent and what not to do if someone does not “want tea.” In all, I learned that sexual assault can happen to anyone, but that there is help on campus. The presentation stressed that a victim of assault is not alone, and that there is support and confidentiality.

Overall, the presentation was helpful and matter-of-fact. At the end of the presentation, we were given a list of valuable resources we could contact if we were ever in need of help. Going into the presentation, I thought sexual assault or gender discrimination could never affect me, but I left the presentation realizing that it could happen to me or someone I care about. The Title IX Presentation helped open my eyes to all the support I can find on campus and helped me feel like I am not alone.