Day of Service Reaction

This past Saturday, on September 12th, I participated in Stockton’s Day of Service. Although previous attendees of the event were disappointed at the many lectures going on throughout the day -due to their expectation of more hands-on service projects- I enjoyed gaining awareness of the many issues and now feel prepared to join with the charities whom presented to combat the problems of my society.

One of the foundations I was able to hear about discussed the importance of educating the incarcerated citizens of the state. The percentage of people who return back to prison within the year of their release is appalling. And education opens new opportunities for the inmates which will help keep them out of jail when their times come to depart. I look forward to meeting the various people involved in the program and using my skills in reading comprehension, grammar, and social studies to help others.

Although not a charity I will be directly contributing to, Join Together Atlantic County (JTAC), presented an intense presentation on prescription drug usage and abuse which radically shifted my perspective on the many substances circling the community. This lecture helped me to understand just how dangerous both the dealers and their product can be and helped solidify my aversion to substance usage. It additionally helped me understand why New Jersey’s heroin issue continues to grow and what can be done to slow down the epidemic.

Ultimately, the Day of Service facilitated my awareness for local issues and provided me with the resources to combat these issues. I look forward to the presentations of next year’s program.